Surfing courses for kids
Surfing is a type of water sport and recreational activity where an individual uses a board to ride a wave. Surfing on the Bizibuz platform encompasses a range of activities such as wave surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, wakeboarding, skimboarding, or boogie boarding – the key difference between these being the type of board used, the body placement on the board and the skills involved.
Wave surfing has a reputation for being one of the hardest sports to learn which is why starting at the right age and having the support of professional trainers is key to ensuring a beginner’s efforts deepen into a passion for the sport. The reason for the reputation is not unfounded. It takes a lot of perserverance, patience, dedication and effort to become competent. And then it takes a lot of practice to develop the skills needed to catch waves, generate speed and carve up a wave. It can also sometimes get hairy out in the ocean, exposed to the elements, sharks, rocks, reefs. However surfing can also be incredibly rewarding.
The benefits of surfing for children include
- being a great way to have kids connect with nature, de-stress and develop a sense of adventure
- building water confidence and learning safety practices such as navigating rip currents
- being aerobic exercise, building strength and promoting balance
- encouraging an active lifestyle which establishes healthy practices for adulthood
- enhancing cognitive development
- improving social skills due to learning in a group environment
- protecting against future cardiovascular disease, cancer and metabolic diseases
- better quality sleep which improves a child’s resiliency and concentration
- learning the thrill of success, how to rebound from mistakes, how to practice patience and build tenacity whether surfing recreationally or competitively
As surfing may require a child to deal with rough currents and be a competent swimmer, it is recommended to start learning to surf around 7-8 years of age at least. Choose a pleasant time of year to be out in the ocean and opt for lessons with qualified coaches that know how to make the experience as fun and safe as possible.